View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009, 03:45 PM   #1
Noah Stout
Unheard

: ()
Noah Stout is an unknown quantity at this point
Right Foot and Knee Problems-- shoes?

Hi,
I just joined today. I've been an athlete my whole life (mostly soccer) but have had trouble with ITB syndrome on the right side since puberty (I'm now 28). As I've moved away from competitive sports I have been trying to pick up my running but I am having a lot of trouble. I went to purchase some good running shoes to see if that would help- went to 3 running stores and they all told me I had a neutral gate and I should get a neutral shoe. I believe I used to use a support shoe (perhaps inappropriately) and that could have contributed to the ITB. So I've been running in the New Balance 1063. I believe the switch might be helping my knee a little, but my right foot by the arch (on the inside, near the heal especially) is killing me! I ran a few miles the other day and afterwards had a hard time walking on it. I tried running today and gave up after a mile on the track and my arch hurt as I walked home in shame
To tell you the truth I've had trouble feeling comfortable with my right foot in any shoes recently, even just walking in my NB 1063 it feels like my foot doesn't sit properly.
Does anyone have any advice? I know there are arch support insoles, but don't want to be turning my supposedly appropriate neutral shoes into a "support shoe". Is an arch support insole different from an arch supporting shoe?

frustrated,
thanks in advance,
NS