Fitness, Running and Nutrition Forum  

Old 11-13-2009, 05:08 PM   #1
RunningRob
Unheard

: ()
RunningRob is an unknown quantity at this point
Heel Pain

So about a month and a half ago I started running regularly again (6-7 days a week). I've always ran hit and miss, maybe every other day, every 2 days, etc. So I haven't been completely out of shape when it comes running, just not in my best shape.

Anyways, I started to train at a higher mileage, more days a week, and at a faster pace until about two weeks ago. I noticed a nagging pain on the outside of my left heel right under my ankle. I iced and ibuprofened for about a week, but the pain kept increasing and was accompanied by quite a bit of swelling. Since then I've switched to biking to keep some form of fitness before I visit an orthopedist next Friday (the 21st).

Since then the swelling has gone down and it seems much easier to walk around with little to no pain (however, I have been dosed up on ibuprofen consistently). The pain comes mostly from bending the foot and putting pressure on the ball of my foot if that makes sense?

Any ideas what this might be, or any similar experiences? Any advice?

Thanks a ton!
Rob

Old 11-23-2009, 01:19 PM   #2
RunningRob
Unheard

RunningRob is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Heel Pain

This turned out to be a Calcaneus (heel bone) Stress Fracture for anyone that might find this thread in the future.

If you have the same or similar symptoms I would recommend seeing a doctor.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:13 PM   #3
skysoldier
Learner

skysoldier is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for this information because I've experienced this one when I jumped from the second floor of our fence down to the cemented part of my place and it made my heel have a bit of swelling then it is hard for me to walk for about 3 days.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:56 AM   #4
shane
Learner

shane is an unknown quantity at this point

When you step on a hard object for example a rock or pebble, you can bruise the fat pad on the underside of your heel. It may or may not gaze discolored. The agony proceeds away step-by-step with rest.
Closed Thread