Fitness, Running and Nutrition Forum  

Go Back   Fitness, Running and Nutrition Forum > AthleticRunner > Steroids and SARMS Information
Register FAQ Auctions Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 11:26 PM   #1
Bennuendo
Beginner

: ()
Bennuendo is an unknown quantity at this point
Secrets the Supplement Industry Doesn’t Want YOU to Know!

You're being lied to daily by the supplement industry in fitness magazines and ads! If you get fit and stay fit then supplement companies lose money. So it's more profitable for them to lie to you, confuse you and send you in the wrong direction.

I was talking to Jeff Anderson (AKA the Muscle Nerd €“ a Bodybuilding Consultant and former Master Fitness Trainer for the US Military) the other day about different types of supplements and he really opened my eyes to A LOT of things!

He told me:
-What to Use if You can Only Afford ONE Supplement
-An Odd Tactic he Learned from his Backyard Pool that€™ll Help You Build Muscle, Burn Fat and Live Longer!
-The Best Supplements to Help You Lose Weight
-The Best Supplements to Help You Pack On a TON of Muscle
-and The Biggest SCAM in the Supplement Industry!

He knows how the supplement industry lies to you and tries to lead you astray.

And I just can€™t keep this information to myself; you need to know the truth! Supplementation shouldn€™t be difficult or empty your pocket

Listen in and let Jeff guide you around some of the crap out there.
We'll get you on the right track for supplementation!

Aim for Progress.
-Ben Guinter

Last edited by Peace_Hope; 01-26-2016 at 03:34 PM..

Old 01-07-2010, 12:52 AM   #2
shane
Learner

shane is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Secrets the Supplement Industry Doesn’t Want YOU to Know!

There is no doubt that the media, the powers vested in the Federal Trade Commission and Food & Drug Administration succumb to powerful lobbying groups - You can still buy a pack of cigarettes despite millions of reported smoking related deaths or witness FDA approved prescription medications like Vioxx and Fen-Phen get pulled from the shelves of pharmacies after numerous deaths are attributed directly to their use.
The hypocrisy in their actions is very evident and it is almost sickening at times. However, given the present scenario which CBS news has alluded to, a war of words is not going to cause real action to save this industry which has been cast upon the chopping block. The executioners axe is now casting it's shadow over the industry as a whole.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:06 AM   #3
Bennuendo
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane View Post
There is no doubt that the media, the powers vested in the Federal Trade Commission and Food & Drug Administration succumb to powerful lobbying groups - You can still buy a pack of cigarettes despite millions of reported smoking related deaths or witness FDA approved prescription medications like Vioxx and Fen-Phen get pulled from the shelves of pharmacies after numerous deaths are attributed directly to their use.
The hypocrisy in their actions is very evident and it is almost sickening at times. However, given the present scenario which CBS news has alluded to, a war of words is not going to cause real action to save this industry which has been cast upon the chopping block. The executioners axe is now casting it's shadow over the industry as a whole.
Yeah I guess by law the FDA's not required to regulate that claims that supplement companies make about their products. They leave that up to the manufacturer.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
Dozz
Shy

Dozz is an unknown quantity at this point

So, what is the solution?
We constantly complain about the FDA and the arbitrary way they seem to pick on vitamin and nutritional supplement companies but then we complain when the promised miracle cure doesn't work as per the sales page.

There seems to be a need for accountability from the regulators as well as the marketers and producers.

That said, I have my favorite supplements and certainly do not want to give them up.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
Bennuendo
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozz View Post
So, what is the solution?
We constantly complain about the FDA and the arbitrary way they seem to pick on vitamin and nutritional supplement companies but then we complain when the promised miracle cure doesn't work as per the sales page.

There seems to be a need for accountability from the regulators as well as the marketers and producers.

That said, I have my favorite supplements and certainly do not want to give them up.
The only solution I can see is to not rely on the companies to tell you the truth... they won't!

And you can't rely on government agencies to keep tabs on the... they won't either!

We have to rely on ourselves and get educated on the supplements before we take them! Some of they really do work and are safe but there's so many scams out there; some that are really unsafe.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:43 AM   #6
sweet_shern
Shy

sweet_shern is an unknown quantity at this point

We need to stick to companies that test their ingredients and supplements in-house and 3rd party. They need to publish their studies on the effectiveness of their products in journals that are peer-reviewed. Very few, may I repeat, very few supplement companies have raw data showing their products actually work. They use borrowed science in their advertisements. By this, I mean, they read someone else's study showing that X vitamin has been shown to do Y. Then, they use this science without making sure the product they produced really does this for their customers. The FDA doesn't have the money to oversee vitamins the way they should. It is up to the consumer to find out about the company before investing in them. By research, I do not mean asking a sales rep at the store - most of the time, they really do not know the data you need to make an informed decision.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:49 AM   #7
Bennuendo
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_shern View Post
We need to stick to companies that test their ingredients and supplements in-house and 3rd party. They need to publish their studies on the effectiveness of their products in journals that are peer-reviewed. Very few, may I repeat, very few supplement companies have raw data showing their products actually work. They use borrowed science in their advertisements. By this, I mean, they read someone else's study showing that X vitamin has been shown to do Y. Then, they use this science without making sure the product they produced really does this for their customers. The FDA doesn't have the money to oversee vitamins the way they should. It is up to the consumer to find out about the company before investing in them. By research, I do not mean asking a sales rep at the store - most of the time, they really do not know the data you need to make an informed decision.
Yeah, I agree... these are very good suggestions. It's even worse whenever companies name drop celebrity talkshow hosts and say that they said it was good so it must be whenever they get paid to talk it up.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:59 AM   #8
Bennuendo
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
I one of those people who don't believe in supplements. I can believe that they do have benefits but I think those same benefits can come from the food that we eat. If you eat a healthy, well-balanced diet then why put some powder or pill in your body that may or may not have been thoroughly tested.
That's what I believe too, but there's so many people out there that want to take supplements to get ahead and get results faster so I interviewed Jeff Anderson to help guide those people...

Quality food is the way to go.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:29 PM   #9
sweet_shern
Shy

sweet_shern is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the disbelief in supplements can stem from the fact that so many do not work. Companies are not doing their job to ensure the product they put on the market is (a) not harmful and (b) really does what it is supposed to (create health and well-being). You are right to see that side of it. Don't put all companies together, though, there are supplements out there that can make a difference naturally in a form your body can use. It is just when a vitamin is synthetic or isolated from the rest of the food source that it is totally not usable by your body. We need every nutrient contained in food, whether known or not. I think this makes vitamin supplementation with the right brand/product all the more imperative because most food you buy in the grocery store is so devoid of nutrients our bodies direly need because the state of our food supply is not ideal.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:40 PM   #10
Bennuendo
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_shern View Post
I think the disbelief in supplements can stem from the fact that so many do not work. Companies are not doing their job to ensure the product they put on the market is (a) not harmful and (b) really does what it is supposed to (create health and well-being). You are right to see that side of it. Don't put all companies together, though, there are supplements out there that can make a difference naturally in a form your body can use. It is just when a vitamin is synthetic or isolated from the rest of the food source that it is totally not usable by your body. We need every nutrient contained in food, whether known or not. I think this makes vitamin supplementation with the right brand/product all the more imperative because most food you buy in the grocery store is so devoid of nutrients our bodies direly need because the state of our food supply is not ideal.
Oh I do agree that some supplements do work and there are a handful of suggestions in the interview... but if you've seen Bigger, Stronger, Faster you saw how easy it was to create your own "supplement company" and pretty much rip people off by jacking up the prices and making claims without supporting it with studies..

Food supplied nutrients are #1 for me.. BUT there are good supplement companies out there.
Closed Thread