Fitness, Running and Nutrition Forum  

Go Back   Fitness, Running and Nutrition Forum > AthleticRunner > Steroids and SARMS Information
Register FAQ Auctions Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 07:41 AM   #1
snake
Apprentice

: ()
snake is on a distinguished road
Heat and humidity

We are under an "excessive heat watch" here in the Twin Cities I have to chuckle as I know my siblings down south experience this weather daily for months! I find that it does not affect me much if I am hydrated. I sweat profusely no matter what, so in weather like this, I just sweat twice as much. The heat helps warm up my muscles and strangely enough, the hot, humid air seems to just flow into my lungs effortlessly. Very nice. I've gotten some of my best times in the 5k on days others were dropping like flies.

How does the H&H affect your running/racing?

Old 07-16-2006, 08:22 PM   #2
Danielle
Amateur

Danielle is on a distinguished road
Re: Heat and humidity

Yeah, the H&H feels good once in a while. It sure beats frigid, icy weather any day IMO.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:01 PM   #3
Gotham Dark Knight

Gotham Dark Knight is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake
We are under an "excessive heat watch" here in the Twin Cities I have to chuckle as I know my siblings down south experience this weather daily for months! I find that it does not affect me much if I am hydrated. I sweat profusely no matter what, so in weather like this, I just sweat twice as much. The heat helps warm up my muscles and strangely enough, the hot, humid air seems to just flow into my lungs effortlessly. Very nice. I've gotten some of my best times in the 5k on days others were dropping like flies.

How does the H&H affect your running/racing?
You do not know that humity is until you do a 5K on the Fourth of July weekend in Orlando Florida...where humidity hits +97% by 7 AM and you pass runners sprawled on the side of the road during the race...

Old 07-17-2006, 08:24 AM   #4
snake
Apprentice

snake is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham Dark Knight
You do not know that humity is until you do a 5K on the Fourth of July weekend in Orlando Florida...where humidity hits +97% by 7 AM and you pass runners sprawled on the side of the road during the race...
I do know, I do know!! It happened here yesterday (8am is when I checked the weather)and it was AWFUL. Humidity 97%, temp 85, dew point 72. Man, the air was thick. Like Danielle said though, we try not to complain too much because heck, the wind could switch to out of the North and it could snow here tomorrow.
Do you think that the sprawled runners were tourists who were unprepared or locals who were unfit, out to participate in their once-yearly community race? We had no sprawlers over the weekend that i know of, in fact there was a triathalon in town. The elite athletes had to do the full course. They cut a few miles off of the bike and run for the others so that they would be finished before noon.
Today looks to be cooler but still very thick, so I had better make my plan and get going....
Old 08-13-2006, 09:10 AM   #5
Bowlerguy92

Bowlerguy92 is on a distinguished road

I would never run in an extreme heat warning. It's just not safe. I see more people dieing from heatstroke then anything when its very hot out. I dont race in really really really hot weather regardless of if i have enough water or not.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:24 PM   #6
Discus_Girl

Discus_Girl is on a distinguished road

I hate humid weather. I was raised in a high elevation community in Nevada. Hot and dry. Great for training. Unfortunately my family relocated to Western Washington where the humidity is killer. It's caused all sorts of breathing/preformance problems for me.

I don't mind sweating or the heat. I can handle that.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:27 AM   #7
mommyX2
Beginner

mommyX2 is on a distinguished road

The humidity kills me so bad that if there is a certain humidity outside I will not even think about running outdoors. I would much rather go to an indoor track on these days and make sure that I am safe rather than have a heat stroke or something.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:19 AM   #8
athleticsforum
Shy

athleticsforum is an unknown quantity at this point

we sometimes compete in temperatures up to 42 degrees celcius here in Australia
Old 10-18-2007, 05:48 PM   #9
KickNit

KickNit is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discus_Girl View Post
I hate humid weather. I was raised in a high elevation community in Nevada. Hot and dry. Great for training. Unfortunately my family relocated to Western Washington where the humidity is killer. It's caused all sorts of breathing/preformance problems for me.

I don't mind sweating or the heat. I can handle that.
True. If it's extremely hot or cold it is isn't safe to train. That's why the military makes people sit in the shade when it's too hot and humid. People die from over exertion.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:45 AM   #10
MarkS
Shy

MarkS is an unknown quantity at this point

Your body cools when sweat evaporates from your skin, not when sweat drips off your skin. Hot and dry not the same as hot and humid. Hot and humid really limits the amount of heat your body can shed.

You can be plenty hydrated and still your core temp will go high enough to give you heat stroke.

I'm not saying don't stay hydrated. De-hydration causes your body temp to rise, of course, and that can kill you.

Sweat evaporation is the main way you body sheds heat. Humidity retards the evaporation of sweat. Be careful of humidity.
Closed Thread