Fitness, Running and Nutrition Forum  

Go Back   Fitness, Running and Nutrition Forum > AthleticRunner > Steroids and SARMS Information
Register FAQ Auctions Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 03:45 PM   #1
Noah Stout
Unheard

: ()
Noah Stout is an unknown quantity at this point
Right Foot and Knee Problems-- shoes?

Hi,
I just joined today. I've been an athlete my whole life (mostly soccer) but have had trouble with ITB syndrome on the right side since puberty (I'm now 28). As I've moved away from competitive sports I have been trying to pick up my running but I am having a lot of trouble. I went to purchase some good running shoes to see if that would help- went to 3 running stores and they all told me I had a neutral gate and I should get a neutral shoe. I believe I used to use a support shoe (perhaps inappropriately) and that could have contributed to the ITB. So I've been running in the New Balance 1063. I believe the switch might be helping my knee a little, but my right foot by the arch (on the inside, near the heal especially) is killing me! I ran a few miles the other day and afterwards had a hard time walking on it. I tried running today and gave up after a mile on the track and my arch hurt as I walked home in shame
To tell you the truth I've had trouble feeling comfortable with my right foot in any shoes recently, even just walking in my NB 1063 it feels like my foot doesn't sit properly.
Does anyone have any advice? I know there are arch support insoles, but don't want to be turning my supposedly appropriate neutral shoes into a "support shoe". Is an arch support insole different from an arch supporting shoe?

frustrated,
thanks in advance,
NS

Old 07-14-2009, 08:04 AM   #2
TheInjuryCoach

TheInjuryCoach is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Right Foot and Knee Problems-- shoes?

Hi Noah,

Sounds like you're having some trouble here! First off, always make sure you're comfortable in the shoes you purchase. If you prefer neutral, lightweight trainers I'd highly recommend the ASICS Speedstars. Also look into Adidas Adistars (there are a few different models - make sure they're not the super light weight flats!).

Sounds like you need to strengthen some of your problem areas, including your feet and your hips. Try spending time barefoot whenever you can and do lateral side steps with a theraband around your ankles. This will really target your hips and IT band at the hip insertion point.

If you're still having trouble down the road, feel free to check out my online coaching site and we can develop a custom rehabilitation program with a lot more strengthening exercises and treatments tailored to you. I'd be happy to help.

Cheers, - Jason.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:19 AM   #3
subfifty
Beginner

subfifty is an unknown quantity at this point

its possible you may have some anatomical misalignments. The key to running injury-free is to make sure your joints are aligned and moving through their full ROM. Any muscular imbalance will pull the joints in your body out of alignment, which can then contribute to a number of pains and injures, as strain and stress are then focused on places they normally shouldnt. Train2move.com talks alot more about this and provides some info on how to fix these problems. If it sounds interesting, check it out! Good luck!

Old 07-07-2010, 01:12 AM   #4
shane
Learner

shane is an unknown quantity at this point

Well this being nice source of information
thanks for sharing ...
Old 09-20-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
koizumi
Shy

koizumi is an unknown quantity at this point

wow, i didn't know that the shoes can make a difference..
Old 09-28-2011, 03:40 PM   #6
ross88guy
Learner

ross88guy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInjuryCoach View Post
Sounds like you need to strengthen some of your problem areas, including your feet and your hips. Try spending time barefoot whenever you can and do lateral side steps with a theraband around your ankles. This will really target your hips and IT band at the hip insertion point.
Cheers, - Jason.
I do this kind of thing but I lie on my side and do lateral raises using ankle weights - this sorted my hip tendonitis and itb problems out within a few weeks after a good amount of rest and physio.

best of luck with the recovery

Last edited by Peace_Hope; 02-02-2016 at 12:26 PM..
Old 09-28-2011, 08:28 PM   #7
Fitness Treadmills

Fitness Treadmills is an unknown quantity at this point

Jason - thanks for the link - I really enjoyed looking at your site. I am returning to running after many years away. I have found that the choice is shoes is one of my most important decisions.
Closed Thread